So I have Verizon Wireless (probably not for long since I’m a phone junky and I’ll get the Apple iPhone), which I switched to so that I could get a Motorola Q. So today, I get a text message from Verizon. It tells me that because daylight savings time is on March 11th this year that I may need a software message. The text message (remember this is a text message sent to my phone) had a URL in it. So I followed the URL. I scroll around the page, lots of cell phones for sale. Lots of navigation. Nothing I can find about daylight savings time. I scroll back up, AH HA! There is a link that says “skip to main content”. Then:
- This takes me to something about daylight savings time, let’s me select Microsoft, Palm, RIM, and go.
- I pick Microsoft.
- I browse around some Microsoft page, finally find some link that says “steps for updating your device.”
- Then I have to choose if I synch with my PC or wirelessly.
- This takes me to another page – I guess it’s the Windows Mobile mobile main page. There is something to click there for an update.
- Now I’m at another page telling me to get the update or click here if I can’t. It warns me I have to accept a license agreement. I click “start the process”.
- Sweet, another page with a accept / decline licensing agreement. (Who declines this? Especially since I have to have it or my phone won’t know what time it is.)
- Now I have to choose whether I want to download the upgrade for Windows Mobile 5.0 or Windows Mobile 2003 second edition devices. WHAT THE HELL! Can’t these clowns auto-detect this crap? I mean give me a break. I’m not about to go away from this stupid web page I’m on to look it up because it’s taken me forever to click this far. Just give me the update for crying out loud.
- Well, well. When I click Widnows Mobile 2003 second edition devices (I hope that’s me, otherwise my phone will probably die some horrible death) it asks if I am sure I want to download (insert stupid filename here). I, of course, say yes.
- SWEET! Installation of (insert stupid filename here) was UNSUCCESSFUL. Wow, thanks for the useful info.
- So I went back and got the Windows Mobile 5.0. I mean, I have no other useful guidance so it seems like the logical step.
- YES I WANT TO DOWNLOAD IT YOU PIECE OF CRAP.
- Hmm, well it downloaded it and rebooted my phone.
- I guess it worked since it didn’t tell me it failed.
Now. Let’s look it took OVER FIFTEEN STEPS for me to update my phone. (Well, to hope that my phone was magically updated.) Did anyone test this process before sending out this text message? I’m sure this message had to have gone to millions of people, so I mean it’s not like they shouldn’t have tested the process.
So let’s review:
- I have a signed contract with Verizon. They probably own my future children and I’m sure they have the right to monkey with my phone at their leisure and that I have no recourse.
- I am sure I “signed” (ie: clicked) some agreement when I activated Windows Mobile on my Q. So I have some contract of some type with Microsoft on this issue (and many others I’m sure).
- Verizon sent me the text message – they know what kind of phone I’m using.
- I clicked a link. I’m sure the mobile phone browser (like all others) transmits its browser ID and OS ID to the web server. WHY THE HELL COULDN’T THEY JUST USE THAT AND SEND ME RIGHT TO THE FILE I NEED!
Wow this was such a bad experience.
I bet the iPhone isn’t this stupid.